How Paying Attention Can Keep You Safe
It’s easy for our minds to…wander on the job. But losing focus is one of the most common causes of accidents at work. Paying attention to what you’re doing is one of the most important things you can do to keep yourself and the other members of your team safe.
That said, paying attention isn’t easy, especially when you’re feeling tired or you have a lot on your mind. So, how can you stay focused even when your mind is ready to wander? Consider the following tips:
- Take advantage of your breaks: When you have a break, truly give yourself a mental break. Try taking just one minute to meditate by closing your eyes and breathing deeply.
- Eliminate distractions: Not everything is in our control, but by doing everything we can to keep our workspace clean and well-maintained, you will cut down on the number of distracting factors.
- Refocus: One method to help you re-concentrate on your task is to start thinking consciously about the task at hand. Narrate the task you are doing to yourself. Talk yourself through each motion that you are taking until you have refocused.
- Practice paying attention: Focusing is easier said than done, but the more you practice paying attention when your mind starts to wander, the better you will become at staying focused.
- Have you ever witnessed an accident that was caused by someone not paying attention?
- How do you stay alert and focused when you begin to get distracted?
- Why do you think paying attention is important?