A little encouragement goes a long way, especially when you’re part of a busy team. Everyone on your team is working hard to achieve something important. Hard work isn’t easy, which is exactly why encouragement is so important.
Encouragement helps everyone feel supported, which gives us emotional fuel to keep working and keep pursuing our goals. When we feel encouraged, it’s easier for everyone to achieve more together and independently at work and at home.
Here’s how you can encourage others on your team:
- Celebrate wins: When a team member does a great job or mentions something good that happened to them, take a moment to congratulate them.
- Offer encouragement: If someone mentions they are having a tough time or are working hard to achieve something difficult, give them an uplifting word. A simple positive word can go a long way.
- Share helpful information: If you know something that can help another person, share your insight with them to help give them a leg up.
- Focus on the positive: While negativity brings people down, positivity has a tendency to boost people up. When you talk to other people, try to help them see the positive in situations and use uplifting words.
- Be a good example: Being our best selves is a great way to encourage others to be their best selves too. It’s encouraging to be a part of a team of individuals who are pursuing their goals and doing great things.
- When was the last time you received an encouraging word from someone? How did it make you feel?
- When was the last time you gave someone a compliment or tried to give someone positive support?
- What kind of encouragement helps you feel the most motivated?