Finding Your Circle of Influence
Have you ever noticed how some people just seem to have that knack for making a real impact and finding success? Well, it might have a lot to do with where they focus their energy. Stephen Covey’s “7 Habits of Highly Effective People” sheds light on this, and it’s all about zeroing in on what you can actually change or influence.
Here’s how Covey breaks it down:
- There’s this big ‘Circle of Concern’ encompassing everything around us – the economy, new laws, even the small stuff like the latest fashion trends or the way people drive. It’s a big area, but here’s the thing: we can’t directly control most of these issues. While they do affect us, investing our energy here often doesn’t yield much.
- Then, there’s the ‘Circle of Influence.‘ This one’s smaller, but it’s where the magic happens. This circle contains things within our power to change. The key to making a real difference lies in focusing our efforts here. The most successful people understand this. They concentrate on their Circle of Influence, and something interesting happens: this circle begins to grow. Over time, their capacity to impact the wider world expands.
So, the main takeaway? It’s all about concentrating on what you can influence or change. That’s the sweet spot for making a difference and charting a path to success. It’s not just about working hard; it’s about working smart on the things that really count.
- Where is your focus being spent today? Are you focusing on the circle of things you can influence, or are you putting your energy into things you cannot directly change?
- What is one thing you cannot control that you are spending too much time thinking or worrying about?
- What is one thing you can control that you should focus on more in your life?