Breathe to De-Stress
Do you ever feel stressed at work? It’s pretty common, isn’t it? We all have those days when everything feels overwhelming. Sometimes it feels like you need a pause button just to catch your breath amidst all the chaos. Luckily, there’s an easy way to de-stress that you can do almost anywhere at any time: Breathing.
That’s right — a simple breathing exercise can help you relax, de-stress, and concentrate. So, the next time you feel overwhelmed, use your break to do a simple breathing exercise. Just one minute can help lower your stress and help you make it through the day a little easier.
Here’s how to do it:
- Breathe in through your nose and let your belly fill with air.
- Imagine that the air is filled with a sense of calm and peace. Imagine that peacefulness entering your entire body.
- Now, breathe out through your nose and feel your belly lower.
- Take three more full, deep breaths, and breathe fully into your belly as it rises and falls with your breath.
- What are your stress triggers at work? What kind of events or situations make you feel anxious or upset?
- Can you use a breathing exercise to stay calm before, during or after a stressful event to stay calm?