Staying Focused on Your Goals
Sometimes everything happens at once — you get a flat tire, a leak springs from your roof, and your child has a fever. These inconvenient events create lots of extra work for us and can make it hard for us to meet important obligations, like showing up for work on time.
Life can feel overwhelming, especially when lots of things are happening all at once, which makes us feel out of control of our situation. With so much going on, it’s harder to show up for your obligations and easier to slip up. When you’re dealing with chaos and an overwhelming situation, you can use these tips to stay focused on what’s important:
- Pause: Take a break from the chaos of everyday life to think about the big picture. Even if it’s just 5 minutes, thinking about what you’re trying to accomplish long-term will help you make a better decision in the short term as you juggle your obligations.
- Write down 1 to 3 goals: You may have a lot going on and big ambitious plans, but you can only accomplish a few big things, especially if there are lots of demands on your time. Determine what things are important for you.
- Determine what actions you need to take for your goals: To accomplish your goals, you’ll need to take consistent action over time. Determine what actions you’ll need to take on a daily or weekly basis — even in chaotic moments — to keep your goals alive. Commit to those actions.
- Seek support: If you have someone who supports you and motivates you to keep up with your goals, touch base with that person. They can help give you the encouragement you need to get through a crazy time and stay focused.
- Stay focused: Focusing on your big goals isn’t easy when lots of things are happening in the background, but focus is crucial to your success. Picture the thing you want to accomplish when times get tough to keep you motivated.
- What are your big goals?
- What actions do you need to take on a daily basis to meet your goals?
- How do you cope with chaos to stay focused?